Dinner Theme: Freestyle

Wednesday, July 4, 2007
Time : 3:12 PM

Last nite my friends and I celebrated the Independence Day "Weekend" with a Wine Nite Dinner. 10 bottles of wine and 5 delicious dishes.
  • Greek Lamb Roll Ups
  • Spring Vegetable Stew with Beaujolais
  • Pork Roast
  • Spicy Coconut Vegetables
  • Red Onion, Feta & Olive tart
  • Fresh fruit for dessert
It was a great time and I ended up finding a new favorite recipe. Both dishes that I made came from a new little recipe book I picked up at a church basement used booksale. One was spicy coconut vegetables, which turned out pretty well but not like I had expected - and not spicy at all. The second, and the one I adored, was a Red Onion, Feta and Olive tart. I'm not a huge olive fan, but I can handle black olives, and on this they were great. But what really made it were the carmelized onions (mmmm) and fresh basil - two of my favorite ingredients. The best part about this dish was how simple it was. The hardest part was enduring the chopping of two red onions. With the pastry I bought I didn't even have to roll it out! This is definitely a keeper - and although I usually find ways to change and improvise recipes I'm not sure this needs any changing! Except it is a bit high in calories & fat. Most of this is accounted for in the puff pastry - and although it is part of what makes this so delicious, I wonder if there is a different way it could be made to cut some of those out!

Unfortunately, I didn't take a picture before we gobbled it up...but I promise it looks beautiful!


Red Onion, Feta & Olive Tart

Pantry
  • 1 oz. butter
  • 2 tbsp. light brown sugar
  • 2 tbsp. balsamic vinegar

Groceries
  • 2 large red onions, finely sliced or coarsely chopped
  • 16 oz. puff pastry, thawed
  • 4 oz. feta cheese, crumbled
  • 6 oz. pitted black olives, chopped
  • fresh basil leaves, shredded
HEAT butter in a pan & add onions. Add a pinch of salt & saute for about 10 minutes, until carmelized. Add sugar & balsamic vinegar & cook for 5 more minutes. Leave to cool

PREHEAT oven to 400°F.

ROLL OUT the pastry on a floured surface & use it to line a 12 x 8.5 inch flat cookie pan. Cover with the onion mixture. Scatter the feta & olives on top. Optional: Season with salt & pepper, drizzle with olive oil.

BAKE 15-20 min. until pastry is risen, golden, & crust is crisp. Scatter shredded basil leaves on top. Slice & serve.

45 minutes. Serving Size: 1/4.

Per Serving: 646 calories, 11g protein, 53g carbs, 44g fat, 18g sat. fat

Labels: , , , ,


posted at 3:12 PM | Permalink |

[ back home ]

Comments for Dinner Theme: Freestyle

© 2006 Hotdish & Sushi
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.

Challenge Us

Give us a challenge! Send us a theme that you'd like us to try and we will do our best to cook up a delicious menu. If you'd like us to we'll copy down all the recipes and mail them to you (snail mail or email). Themes can encompass anything: a holiday, place, ingredient, person, idea, emotion - be creative! Email your challenge to hotdishnsushi AT gmail.com

Explore Our Dinners

Pick a Theme!

About hNs

My friends and I have been having theme dinners on and off for over three years now, and I thought I'd start sharing some of our theme menus. We love food and hNs is my way to share this enjoyment with as many other people as possible.


Powered by Blogger

Food & Drink Blogs - Blog Top Sites