Simple Snack: Lefse & Nutella

Tuesday, December 19, 2006
Time : 7:06 PM

Every year, as the holidays start to roll around, strange things start showing up on the tables of many Minnesotans. Of course, these things aren't strange to us. Pickled Herring, Horseradish, Fruitcake, Lutefisk, and many other Scandanavian delights. Most of these things I have never been able to eat because my grandfather managed to frighten me off of them at a young age. But one dish from our Norwegian ancestors that everyone is excited to divulge in every winter is lefse.

Nutella and Lefse


Wikipedia defines lefse as "a traditional soft Scandinavian flatbread made out of potato, milk or cream and flour, and cooked on a griddle" but all most people really need to know is that it's delicious. The best lefse I ever had was when I visited Oslo and had it straight off the stone fireplace, in a historical cabin at the Norweign Folk museum. For about $3 worth of Kroner I got huge slice of amazing, thick, warm, home made lefse smothered in butter from two girls dressed in Norweigan peasant dress. When you bring out the lefse most Minnesotans turn into kids in a candy store. I have to hide mine if I don't want it devoured before I even get a piece.

There are traditional ways of eating lefse, such us butter and sugar/cinnamon, and they are very delicious. But, out of boredom I have tried many different things. My latest idea was probably my most genius. When I spent a month living in Poland we lived off of one of the best corporate "junk" food inventions ever: Nutella. In Poland Nutella is very cheap because it does not need to be imported. All of my flatmates had a jar of Nutella in their rooms, and we'd eat it for breakfast, dinner, and with pretzels while we were drinking. So last week while I was at the grocery store I bought Nutella for the first time in the US. At that very moment I remembered the lefse at home that i had bought a few days earlier.

Nutella and Lefse

What emerged was a great snack and an even better breakfast. Now when I want a light midnight snack, or when I'm not in the mood to make anything in the morning, I slap some nutella onto some lefse, roll it up, and presto! It may not be traditional, and it may be frowned upon by the crazy Norweigan Lutherans among us, but I must admit...it is quite delicious.

Labels: , , , ,


posted at 7:06 PM | Permalink |

[ back home ]

Comments for Simple Snack: Lefse & Nutella

© 2006 Hotdish & Sushi
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.

Challenge Us

Give us a challenge! Send us a theme that you'd like us to try and we will do our best to cook up a delicious menu. If you'd like us to we'll copy down all the recipes and mail them to you (snail mail or email). Themes can encompass anything: a holiday, place, ingredient, person, idea, emotion - be creative! Email your challenge to hotdishnsushi AT gmail.com

Explore Our Dinners

Pick a Theme!

About hNs

My friends and I have been having theme dinners on and off for over three years now, and I thought I'd start sharing some of our theme menus. We love food and hNs is my way to share this enjoyment with as many other people as possible.


Powered by Blogger

Food & Drink Blogs - Blog Top Sites